Everybody knows now how flooded Instagram has gotten with quotes! From motivational quotes to scriptural to even the jab-at-the-ex boyfriend (girl, we’ve ALL been there), it’s all a little overdone. True, all of us girls love a good quote (admit it….), but lately I’m starting to see so many of them circle back around. Since travel is my one true love, here are 15 “not so typical” wanderlust quotes that will have you dreaming of adventure.
1. Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures.
2. “If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.” -Jane Austen
3. Of all the books in the world, the best stories are found between the pages of a passport.
4. “There will be a few times in your life when all your instincts will tell you to do something, something that defies logic, upsets your plans, and may seem cray to others. When that happens, you do it. Listen to your instincts and ignore everything else. Ignore the logic, ignore the odds, ignore the complications, and just go for it.” Judith McNaught
5. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you – it should change you. It leave marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you… Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” – Anthony Bourdain
6. “And then there is the most dangerous risk of all. The risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet that you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” -Randy Komisar
7. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” -Anita Desai
8. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.” -Mark Twain
9. “Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” -Gustave Flaubert
10. It is probably a pity that every citizen of each state cannot visit all the others, to see the differences, to learn what we have in common, and come back with a richer, fuller understanding of America – in all its beauty, in all its dignity, in all its strength, in support of moral principles. – Dwight D. Eisenhower
11. When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable. -Clifton Fadiman
12. What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do – especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road. – William Least Heat Moon
13. Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made more clear. travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of, giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art.
14. To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. – Aldous Huxley
15. Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth, and you will bear witness, In this way, you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black and white. – Mark Jenkins
Some writers are truly astonishing at what they do, and how they can make others feel.